Wine/Cheese Pairing #1

On February 2, my roommate, Katelyn, and I sat down for a wine and cheese pairing to conclude a long Thursday. We went to Kroger and bought some wine and cheese, and then we tasted each of them. Although Katelyn is not in the class, it was interesting to also get her opinion on the wines and how they blended with each cheese.

We had three cheese varieties, and three wines to taste. The cheese included a pepper jack, an extra sharp cheddar, and Colby jack. The wines were a Sauvignon Blanc, a Cabernet Sauvignon, and a Chardonnay. I thought it would be interesting to pair some very inexpensive wines with one that was a bit more pricy.

Root 1: Sauvignon Blanc-

Year: 2015

Region: Casablanca Valley, Chile

Price: $9 (on sale) usually $18

My Review: I bought this bottle of wine last week from the Vintage Cellar. I did not know much about it, but I had tried Sauvignon Blanc before and enjoyed it so I figured I would give it a try. The white wine had a citrus fruit smell, and a tart citrusy taste. It was rather dry, and the after taste was even bitterer. While I did enjoy this wine, I’m not sure that I would buy it again.

Cheese Pairing: I thought this wine paired very nicely with the pepper jack cheese. The bitterness of the wine complimented the spicy flavors in the cheese and resulted in a nice, balanced palette. I didn’t prefer this wine with the extra sharp cheddar because the bold flavors in each seemed to compete with each other.

Official Review: “Pale green edges with a bright citrus bouquet and juicy tropical aromas. Lime, grapefruit, pineapple and pear flavors are vibrant and fresh. Smooth mineral notes and a hint of herbs creates complexity for this crisp and delightful wine, followed by an elegant finish.”

Bay Bridge Cabernet Sauvignon-

Region: California, USA

Price: $2.99

My Review: This wine had a somewhat sweet smell with hints of berry. The color was very rich and dark red, with even hints of purple. The taste was also slightly sweet, but it had a bit of an acidic “bite” to it with a peppery after taste. The wine was smooth, and although I don’t usually prefer red wines, this was not bad especially for the price.

Cheese Pairing:  I thought this wine paired very nicely with the extra sharp cheddar cheese. The pepper jack seemed to be competing in flavors, and the Colby jack was a bit mild and overpowered by the bold taste of the wine.



Bay Bridge Chardonnay-
Region: California, USA

Price: $2.99

My Review: This wine had a mild smell of oak with some floral tones. The flavor was very good; notes of citrus were present with a dry after-taste. I thought this wine had a mellow taste, as it was not especially overpowering in any aspect. Of the three wines that I tasted, the Bay Bridge Chardonnay was my favorite, despite its low price! 

Cheese Pairing: I thought this wine paired best with the Colby jack cheese. Neither the wine, nor the cheese had an exceptionally strong flavor; therefore, there was no competition between either. The pepper jack cheese also tasted good with this wine.


*A vintage year was not listed for either of the Bay Bridge wines, nor could I find an official review to document for them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tasting: Vinedos Real Rubio Rioja Crianza

Tasting- Garnacha de Fuego

Tasting- Arrow Creek Merlot